Top 2 New Year's Resolutions for 2019
Every New Year millions of Americans resolve to get healthier and save money, two goals worthy of pursuit. If you’re already fit and frugal you can stop reading now and pat yourself on the back! For the rest of us, here are some tips to help New Year’s resolutions last beyond the first few weeks of January and become meaningful long term improvements.
Research shows that getting fit, losing weight and eating healthier come down to a few main steps.
- Make Simple Daily Changes
- Giving up fast food for a whole year sounds like a big challenge, doesn’t it? But avoiding fast food for a day is a lot easier. Push yourself to choose the healthier option today; these little daily decisions eventually become weekly, monthly, and yearly progress. Breaking big goals down into smaller ones makes them more achievable and gives you more wins to celebrate. And if you slip up, don’t give up. Just be sure to make a healthier choice tomorrow.
- Get an Accountabilibuddy
- Find someone that can support you and hold you accountable as you work to reach your weight loss or health goals. That could be a loved one, friend, co-worker, or online community, anyone who can help push you to make yourself better. Using a Fitness tracker can help make this process easier too.
- Move around more
- Change up your routine to get yourself moving. Park at the end of the lot when grocery shopping. Take the stairs at work. Go on a long walk. Use the basement door. If you have a desk job, make it a standing desk.
Saving money begins with your mindset. Here are a few tips that can get you into that mindset.
- You have to know exactly where your money is going before you can decide where to make cuts. There are tons of online tools that can help you track your expenses and plan your budget. Some of us have used Mint. Keep an eye on your accounts for automatic charges that you’ve forgotten to cancel, like the gym membership in your old neighborhood or the streaming service you don’t use anymore.
- Save while you shop
- A bit of comparison shopping to find the best deal can save lots of money. Delay a purchase for a few days to see if you really need that item or if it was just a whim.
- If you’re decided that you still need to buy something don’t forget to look for alternative options. We sell refurbished brand name electronics that provide substantial savings over buying new. Other retailers offer similar cost saving options.
- Say No
- If you’re tempted to spend more money than you should, walk away. You know what you want and making that a guiding principal can make saying no to impulses easy. Don’t let anything get in the way of your long term financial goals.
We hope these tips will get you off to a great start this New Year.
Happy 2019 from all of us at Joe’s GE!